Bolton Depot - Assistant Operations Manager
Job title: Assistant Operations Manager
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Location: Bolton Depot and Interchange
Direct Reports: Inspectors, Lead drivers and Driving staff.
Basic Purpose of Role
• To ensure a safe, punctual, reliable, and cost-effective delivery of services through robust and fair management of your direct reports.
• Supporting the Operations Manager to deliver a highly skilled and trained workforce through driver engagement and compliance with operational policies and procedures
• To develop and lead through staff engagement the core principles of service delivery and great customer service whilst demonstrating reasoned and balanced negotiation on the need to improve and change culture, to sustain business growth
• To motivate your team to take Customer Service to the standard that delights our customers
• Undertake the duties of the Operations Manager in their absence.
• Drive engagement with driving team and customers
• To carry out driver appraisals and direct report appraisals and improve staff skills and identify any training needs.
• To conduct any disciplinary, grievance or absence management reviews in accordance with Company policy.
• To carry out return to work interviews
• To ensure all drivers are inducted effectively.
• To ensure that staff welfare issues are dealt with effectively.
• To manage your direct reports in accordance with Rotala policies, standard operating procedures, and all relevant legislation
• To support the Operations Manager in delivering agreed plans and budgets, including established level of service and service quality
• Ensure that the Operator’s Licence undertakings are adhered to.
• Support the Operations Manager to ensure staff planning at the depot meets the operating requirements of the business
• Ensure an effective working relationship with recognised trade union representatives and officials
• To support the Operations Manager to manage and plan collision reduction and staff/passenger injury reduction
• To ensure the effective management of Incident Prevention.
• To manage and deliver agreed key performance indicators
• To ensure positive working relationships are maintained between operations, commercial and engineering functions
• Ensure you liaise with external bodies to improve performance of lost miles and punctuality.
• To support the Operations Manager ensuring all cash handling procedures are followed.
• To be responsible for Driving licence, DQC and Tacho checking (if required).
Special Working Conditions
• Deemed to be a “senior manager” under the working time regulations
• Ability to travel across the operating area.
• To undertake any additional duties at the request of your line manager, which is deemed to be within your competency
• To induct, manage and develop any personnel within your responsibility
• To adhere to all Rotala policies and procedures
• To be GDPR compliant in everything that you do.
• To undertake any training and development activities at the request of your line manager.
• To comply with all Safety policies and support new initiatives
Health and Safety Responsibilities
• To comply with your responsibilities for Health and Safety at all times.
• To ensure compliance with legislation, company policies and procedures.
• To ensure that risk assessments are carried out for areas and activities under your control, that appropriate control measures are implemented, and the assessment communicated to all of those who may be at risk
• To report incidents, near misses and dangerous occurrences in a timely manner and ensure effective remedial action is taken
• To promote and implement Injury Prevention and safe working practices by means of campaigns/initiatives and to promote a positive attitude to safety through personal leadership
• To undertake safety tours and safety conversations and ensure that direct reports do the same. Where follow-up actions are identified to ensure they are documented, and effective remedial action is taken
Skills, Experience and Qualifications Required
• Strong people management abilities,
• Proven leadership skills are essential to provide strategic and day to day direction to your team and be an effective manager of collective relationships in a unionised environment
• Mentoring/coaching skills in the progression of the deliverables of the business
• Self-reliant and straightforward communicator with skill sets to promote the customer facing business, in a positive light with the capacity to inspire in a structured and encouraging way
• Aptitude to build and maintain stakeholder relations indicative of a professional leader.
• A professional manner, a can do attitude and good communications and interpersonal skills are a must.
• An up to date PCV licence and DQC is essential
Collisions per million miles
Passenger injuries per million miles
• To encourage our drivers to drive more fuel efficiently.
• To encourage our drivers to reduce engine Idling.
• To ensure that waste is segregated appropriately to maximize recycling and that lighting and heating in the depot is used efficiently.
• Assist the Company to continually improve its services.
• To undertake any training relevant to the role where necessary.
This list is not exhaustive, and the Assistant Operations Manager will be expected to undertake any other reasonable duties or function and provide cover for other staff members as deemed necessary by management.
The details contained in this Job Description reflect the content of the job at the date it was prepared. However, it is inevitable that over time, the nature of the jobs may change. Existing duties may no longer be required, and other duties may be gained without changing the general nature of the post or the level of responsibility entailed. Consequently, Rotala will expect to revise this Job Description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
Date Job Description Prepared: 07 January 2021