Engineering Manager North West Region
Job title: Engineering Manager
Reporting to: Head of Engineering
Location: Northwest Region
Direct Reports: Workshop Planner – Supervisors – Engineering Chargehands
Basic Purpose of Role
· To ensure a safe, punctual, reliable, and cost-effective delivery of services through robust and fair management of Engineering performance.
· Provide accurate feedback on Engineering cost and capabilities to Company Directors.
· To develop and lead Engineering teams through staff engagement whilst demonstrating reasoned and balanced negotiation on the need to improve and change culture, to sustain business growth.
· To control all Engineering cost lines through robust planning and auditing.
· Drive engagement with Engineering Planner and supervisory teams.
· To manage the Engineering teams in accordance with Rotala policies, standard operating procedures, and all relevant legislation
· To deliver agreed plans and budgets, including established level of Cleaning, servicing, Inspection and MOT quality.
· To ensure staff planning at the depot meets the operating requirements of the business
· Ensure an effective working relationship with recognised trade union representatives and officials
· To ensure the effective management of Health and Safety.
· To manage and deliver agreed key performance indicators
· To ensure positive working relationships are maintained between operations, commercial and engineering functions
· Liaise with external bodies to improve engineering performance.
· To carry out direct report appraisals and improve staff skills and identify any training needs.
· To conduct any disciplinary, grievance or absence management appeals/reviews in accordance with Company policy.
· To ensure all Engineering colleagues are inducted effectively.
· To ensure that staff welfare issues are dealt with effectively.
Special Working Conditions
· Deemed to be a “senior manager” under the working time regulations
· Ability to travel across the operating area.
· To undertake any additional duties at the request of your line manager, which is deemed to be within your competency
· To induct, manage and develop any personnel within your responsibility
· To adhere to all Rotala policies and procedures
· To undertake any training and development activities at the request of your line manager.
· To comply with all Safety policies and support new initiatives
Health and Safety Responsibilities
· To comply with your responsibilities for Health and Safety at all times.
· To ensure compliance with legislation, company policies and procedures.
· To ensure that risk assessments are carried out for areas and activities under your control, and that appropriate control measures are implemented, and the assessment communicated to all of those who may be at risk
· To report incidents, near misses and dangerous occurrences in a timely manner and ensure effective remedial action is taken
· To promote safe working practices by means of campaigns/initiatives and to promote a positive attitude to safety through personal leadership
· To undertake safety tours and safety conversations and ensure that direct reports do the same. Where follow-up actions are identified to ensure they are documented, and effective remedial action is taken
· To encourage our engineers to drive more fuel efficiently.
· To encourage our engineers to report leaks and spillages promptly
· To ensure that waste is segregated appropriately to maximize recycling and that lighting and heating in the depot is used efficiently.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications Required
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Strong Engineering background.
· Significant knowledge of employment, safety, and environmental legislation. A professional qualification would be desirable or equivalent company recognised qualification. Training must be undertaken, and requisite results achieved within agreed timeframes.
· Exceptional engagement skills with motivational qualities as a prerequisite, perpetuating an environment of trust and confidence to all disciplines
· Strong people management abilities.
· An ability to regulate employees through motivational engagement
· Computer skills with essential organisational aptitude
· Proven leadership skills are essential to provide strategic and day to day direction to your team and be an effective manager of collective relationships in a unionised environment
· Budgetary, Commercial and financial experience with a capability in logical system analysis to communicate results in formats comprehensible to all disciplines
· Ability in endorsing commitment to set long/short-term objectives
· Mentoring/coaching skills in the progression of the deliverables of the business
· Self-reliant and straightforward communicator with skill sets to promote the customer facing business, in a positive light with the capacity to inspire in a structured and encouraging way
· A professional manner, can-do attitude and good communication skills are a must.
· Engineering payroll Efficiency
· Lost mileage
· Material spend
· Engineering staff Turnover
· Customer Comments regarding vehicle quality & cleanliness
· Engineer Lost Time Incident’s
· Engineering sickness
· Fleet MOT performance
· Fleet OCRS score
· Cleanliness of fleet and premises
· Inspection & Servicing targets
· Assist the Company to continually improve its services.
· To undertake any training relevant to the role where necessary.
This list is not exhaustive, and the Engineering Manager will be expected to undertake any other reasonable duties or function and provide cover for other staff members as deemed necessary by management.
Plan 21- continuing “On Our Journey to Everyday Greatness”
Any colleague accepting the commitment of this Job Description MUST ensure they share and have a comprehensive understanding of Senior Management’s Vision, Ambitions, Passion, Determination and Commitment to be the absolute best we can be in all areas of our business. Our Commitment is to each other, all our employees and our greater stakeholder group.
This Vision embraces the fact that every moment we should reflect on experiences, seek to improve, develop our own development plans. In addition, we should encourage and support our peers to do the same.
The details contained in this Job Description reflect the content of the job at the date it was prepared. However, it is inevitable that over time, the nature of the jobs may change. Existing duties may no longer be required, and other duties may be gained without changing the general nature of the post or the level of responsibility entailed. Consequently, Rotala will expect to revise this Job Description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
Date Job Description Prepared: 05 January 2021