Engineering Manager - Redditch Depot
Salary £38,000 p.a.
We are looking for a proactive, practical and ‘hands-on’ Engineering Manager capable of managing an engineering team of 16, and a fleet of 63 vehicles at The Diamond Bus Redditch depot.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the focus will be to lead and manage the smooth running of the engineering department. You will be responsible for maximising productivity and minimising lost mileage, whilst focusing on standards and health & safety practices.
Through quality, reliable and safe engineering practices you will support the operational growth, profitability and provide a consistent quality of service to our customers at this depot.
Ideally the successful candidate will understand the road passenger transport sector, including all relevant legal and external regulations and requirements for the operation of passenger carrying vehicles. However, candidates from backgrounds in a related field, such as the truck / haulage industries within an engineering setting, will also be considered.
Due to the nature of the role the successful candidate will need to be flexible and prepared to work the required hours to meet the needs of overseeing this operation, which may include anti-social hours.
- To ensure best practice in all Diamond Bus operations including compliance with legal and policy requirements.
- To represent Diamond Bus as directed by the Directors at meetings with external contractors and review external contractor operational and financial performance.
- Ensure all engineering Health, Safety and Environmental policies are upheld, respond and address any findings identified in our internal Engineering Department Audits and implementing resolutions for any shortcomings.
- Conduct vehicle and staff quality inspections will be required to ensure maintenance work meets Company standards.
- Ensure all vehicles are regularly serviced, thoroughly maintained and well presented in strict accordance with Company procedures, DVSA requirements and agreed budgets.
- Monitor vehicle reliability and identify problems, ensuring remedial action is taken and is successful, in order that service failure does not exceed depot KPIs.
- Ensure that all Company equipment is tested and maintained at regular intervals to ensure they meet Company and Legal requirements.
- Manage stock levels and parts spend to budgetary constraints.
- Manage staff wages to set KPIs, whilst ensuring productivity is maintained and costs controlled.
- Have the agility and resilience to balance costs and operational needs
- Be able to meet challenges head-on, and keep everything running smoothly in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- To recruit staff as required and as directed by the Managing Director to operate the engineering department efficiently.
- To be responsible for training and development of staff including induction.
Qualifications and Experience
- Level 3 HGV City & Guilds/NVQ or equivalent.
- Excellent working knowledge of all daily site procedures, engineering processes, health and safety regulations, DVSA standards
- Strong people management and leadership skills, capable of motivating and maintaining discipline with engineering and cleaning staff
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- An appropriate level of IT skills
- Possession of PSV Licence or be willing to work towards acquiring this.
- Attractive and competitive Salary
- Free employee travel pass scheme