Health Safety, Environmental and Facilities Manager
Plan 21- continuing “On Our Journey to Everyday Greatness”
Any colleague accepting the commitment of this Job Description MUST ensure they share and have a comprehensive understanding of Senior Management’s Vision, Ambitions, Passion, Determination and Commitment to be the absolute best we can be in all areas of our business. Our Commitment is to each other, all our employees and our greater stakeholder group.
This Vision embraces the fact that every moment we should reflect on experiences, seek to improve, develop our own development plans. In addition, we should encourage and support our peers to do the same.
This Job Description highlights specific areas and functions which seek to underpin this Commitment. Thank you for joining the team.
Job title: Health Safety, Environmental and Facilities Manager
Reporting to: Head of Service Delivery
Location: Eccles Depot
Basic Purpose of Role
- To manage the HSE function and working closely with all stakeholders, in order to achieve a safe working environment.
- Manages the lifecycle of buildings and oversees the operations and maintenance of the facility systems of an organisation.
- Monitor and review all Health & Safety policies, procedure, strategy, and vision for the company.
- Promote, build and improve upon the current Health, Safety and Environmental record of the company.
- Engage key stakeholders across the business to develop and improve a collaborative and cohesive behaviour safety culture
- Lead on operation health, safety audits, , training and completing risk assessments, in conjunction with the Group Auditor. / Group HSE Manager.
- Provide appropriate advice to the business(es) on risk management, including and identifying, assessing, and mitigating risks where appropriate
- Deliver HSE updates to both staff on shopfloor through to Director level
- Conduct Driver and Engineering audits across the group, produce compliance KPI reports, documenting findings on O’Licence compliance, actions and solutions and address any repetitive non-compliance, in conjunction with the Group Auditor/Group HSE Manager
- Understanding of safety culture development and staff education in respect of continuous improvement. O’Licence and franchise contractual compliance.
- Ensure that all Company equipment across the group is tested and maintained at regular intervals to ensure they meet Company and Legal requirements
- Liaison and provision of support for Employer Liability claims with the Insurance Claims Department.
- To ensure best practice in all Rotala Plc operations including compliance with legal and policy requirements.
- Ensure all engineering Health, Safety and Environmental policies are adhered to.
- In conjunction with the Group HSE manager supporting the accreditation and ongoing maintenance and management of ISO 45001 Occupational Health and Safety Management System.
- To represent the company to external stakeholders, such as TfGM/GMCA, regarding all relevant H&S matters.
- Manage the development and implementation of environmental management systems within the organisation by identifying, solving, and alleviating environmental issues, such as pollution and waste generation in compliance with environmental legislation and to ensure corporate sustainable development.
- Lead on operation of environmental audits, in conjunction with the Group Auditor
- Provide appropriate advice to the business(es) on environmental management
- In conjunction with the Group HSE manager supporting the accreditation and ongoing maintenance and management of the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System.
- To be responsible for, and report on issues such as:
- environmental and sustainability policies; environmental performance monitoring including KPIs e.g. waste, water, carbon; environmental aspects and impacts register; environmental legal and compliance obligations register; training and competency requirements; documents and record control; recording and dealing with environmental complaints;
- audit monitoring schedule and results; carbon and energy management; noise and vibration management; environmental incident management; water efficiency and waste water management; waste management and recycling improvements.
- To represent the company to external stakeholders, such as TfGM/GMCA, regarding all relevant environmental matters.
- Effectively manage all aspects if the hard and soft FM at the depot and any ancillary estate;
- Managing subcontractor activity, including inducting, monitoring and reporting on maintenance activities
- Ensuring compliance with Franchise Agreement and depot lease
- Continually develop and improve quality and hygiene standards
- Monitor and report on performance at agreed intervals
- Keep up to date with changes in legislation and implement changes in accordance with Company guidance. Ensure all due diligence is implemented and updated in line with company policy and procedure.
- Ensure that products, equipment, and materials are properly stored, used, maintained, controlled and purchased in accordance with OCS procedures.
- To be primary point of contact with TfGM/GMCA for facilities and building/estate issues.
Accident Reporting and Record Keeping
- Maintain all relevant HSE logs
- Record all near misses, first aid incidents and other
- Investigate and report all accidents within the timeframe set by the client and the Health and Safety
- Investigate the circumstances and causes of accidents and take necessary steps to prevent a recurrence.
- To undertake any additional duties at the request of your line manager, which is deemed to be within your competency
- To adhere to all Rotala policies and procedures
- To undertake any training and development activities at the request of your line manager.
- To comply with all Safety policies and support new initiatives
- To be GDPR compliant in everything that you do.
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- To comply with your responsibilities for Health and Safety at all times.
- To ensure compliance with legislation, company policies and procedures.
- To report incidents, near misses and dangerous occurrences in a timely manner and ensure effective remedial action is taken
- To promote and support Injury Prevention and safe working practices by means of campaigns/initiatives and to promote a positive attitude to safety through personal leadership
Skills, Experience and Qualifications Required
- NEBOSH General Certificate
- NEBOSH National Diploma in Environmental Management (or working towards)
- Good understanding of ISO45001 / 14001
- Solid technical H&S background
- Effective communication, networking and engagement skills, good team player
- Logical reasoning with a can do approach
- An understanding of current legislation
- Computer literacy covering Microsoft Office package and practical experience of implementing appropriate HSE related software solution's:
- Good people skills
- Meticulous attention to details.
- Highly organised.
The details contained in this Job Description reflect the content of the job at the date it was prepared. However, it is inevitable that over time, the nature of the jobs may change. Existing duties may no longer be required, and other duties may be gained without changing the general nature of the post or the level of responsibility entailed. Consequently, Rotala will expect to revise this Job Description from time to time and will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
Date Job Description Prepared: 5th January 2023
Prepared by: Emma Woods, Group Head of HR