Workshop Supervisor - North West
£34,000 per annum
We are looking for a proactive, practical and ‘hands-on’ Workshop Supervisor capable of supervising engineering teams on shift of upto 15 staff and a fleet of 250 vehicles at our state of the art engineering workshop at Diamond Bus North West – Bolton depot.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will work as a key player in a team of 4 shift supervisors. The focus will be to lead and manage the smooth running of the engineering department and allocating work. You will be responsible for maximising productivity and minimising lost mileage, whilst focusing on standards and health & safety practices.
Through quality, reliable and safe engineering practices you will support the operational growth, profitability and provide a consistent quality of service to our customers at this depot.
Ideally the successful candidate will have previous experience of working as a workshop supervisor within the bus/coach industry or be at the next stage of their career, ready to step up into a supervisory role, with knowledge of all relevant legal and external regulations and requirements for the operation of passenger carrying vehicles. However, candidates from backgrounds in a related field, such as the truck / haulage industries within an engineering setting, will also be considered.
Due to the nature of the role the successful candidate will be required to work shifts, including weekends and cover colleagues within the Supervisory Team during periods of annual leave and sickness.
The shift pattern is 4days on in a 7 day period, 9.5hours per shift, 30 minutes break. Shift times are;
Early – 5am-3pm
Late – 14.30pm-00.30am
You will be required to work one weekend every 3 weeks, which Saturday and Sunday 5am-3pm.
- Ensure the availability of vehicles in line with operational requirements – making service and meeting passengers needs is at the forefront of the engineering operation.
- Supervise the engineering team in the maintenance and servicing of the fleet, ensuring all vehicles comply with statutory regulations.
- Supervise the cleaning team on shift, to ensure Company standards are met.
- Allocate work which is both scheduled and unplanned work, managing any staff absence in accordance with procedures and plan effectively how to redistribute work to cover any shortfalls caused by absence.
- Conduct vehicle and staff quality inspections will be required to ensure maintenance/repair work meets Company standards.
- Ensure all vehicles are regularly serviced, thoroughly maintained and well presented in strict accordance with Company procedures, DVSA requirements.
- Be able to meet challenges head-on, and keep everything running smoothly in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- To be responsible for training and development of staff including induction.
Qualifications and Experience
- Level 3 HGV City & Guilds/NVQ or equivalent.
- Excellent working knowledge of all daily site procedures, engineering processes, health and safety regulations, DVSA standards
- Strong people management and leadership skills, capable of motivating and maintaining discipline with engineering and cleaning staff
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- An appropriate level of IT skills
- Possession of PSV Licence or be willing to work towards acquiring this.
- Attractive and competitive Salary
- Free employee travel pass scheme